Friday, September 25, 2015

Friday Reads: Ungodly by Kendare Blake!!!

Hey guys!

It's Friday! And although I work this weekend, since it's just 3 days till my vacation time, I'm truly in the mood for celebrating Friday, even if I have to work it!

For this week's Friday Reads I have one hell of an awesome book, the final one in an awesome series! I'm a bit sad that there's no more in the Goddess War trilogy but I'm really looking forward to next book and series by the author, so it's all good!

Since it is all about Greek Mythology it counts towards my 2015 Mythology Reading Challenge and since it's the last one in a series, I'm gonna count it towards my September is for Sequels challenge (because I am seriously failing that challenge! September has been a slow reading month for sure!).







Ungodly (Goddess War, #3)Ungodly by Kendare Blake

My rating: 5 of 5 stars


What a fantastic final book for this trilogy! As action filled and creepy and gory as the other two, or maybe a lil more! Kendare Blake doesn't pull any punches, so prepare yourself for a wild ride!

With the evil cliffhanger ending that we were left after Mortal Gods, the trepidation of what might happen in this one was real, so much that I read a sampler with the 10 first chapters because I NEEDED TO KNOW!

I will do my best to be as spoiler free for the whole series and this book in particular as possible, but I'm not sure how well I'll do about previous books in the series spoilers. If you haven't started the series read on at your own risk, and really... go and read the books now!

We follow three different story paths at the beginning of the book, and as usual Cassandra was the one I had more issues relating to, she's so angry and so irrational AND seriously so angry and out of control... But as this book progressed I felt like I could understand her better and not being so rubbed the wrong way.

Athena has been my fave character I'm pretty sure throughout the whole series (although dear Andie and Hermes are also firm candidates in the top 3 of favourites) and I really liked how her character development worked in this book. She's found herself in a very vulnerable position she would have never expected herself to be, and dealing with her possible mortality has been a severe kick in the arse!

Kendare's writing is as visual and compelling as always. She doesn't shy away of the blood and gore, and I think she might have kicked it up a notch in this final book. I kept on fearing for all the characters because you cannot be sure about who will survive by the end of the day, or how they will survive!

There were certainly quite a few plot twists and turns in the story that I was NOT expecting and even how they played out ended up being unexpected! Some things I think I should have seen coming but I didn't and in that respect I was at the same level of the characters!

We get some new characters, quite fascinating all of them, some more than others of course and we see some of the old ones with new eyes. Unexpected allies and gods changing sides, unexpected deaths and near deaths and not deaths! Battles and shields and fevers and shears... You'll keep on turning the pages waiting for the other shoe to drop... and boy, do they drop!

After that shocker of an ending I was extremely happy for the epilogue that we get! We don't get all the answers but we have enough closure to be satisfied!

Very well deserved 5 stars to this final book in the trilogy that cements Kendare Blake as an auto-buy author for me!





View all my reviews

12 comments:

  1. I can't believe I haven't picked up this series yet Pili given how much I love all things Greek mythology! But now I get to binge read which usually works out better for me than having to wait in between books:) So glad to see this final installment get a 5 from you, I've been disappointed by a few series enders recently, so I'm always a bit reluctant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Jenny! You really need to binge read this series!! You'll be very glad that you waited because there are some serious cliffhangers in these!!

      Delete
  2. I love the sound of this trilogy and I've been meaning to read it since forever. Hopefully soon! I also really love the covers. Normally I'm not a big fan of people on book covers but this just works! It's got that mythology feel for sure XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you'll get to read and love these, Eileen! I so love them to bits! And the cover change was rather good too, even if I think I still prefer the original cover for the first book with the bloody feather!

      Delete
  3. I read the first book and really enjoyed it and then I just fell behind. Glad you loved this so much and I will try to get to it soon!
    Jen @ YA Romantics

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well Jen, now you can binge read book 2 and 3 and not suffer the cliffhange wait! ;)

      Delete
  4. Ha ha, we were just talking about Kendare. Do you think the Anna books are only a duology, then? I didn't know she had written a trilogy after Girl of Nightmares.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Anna books are firmly a duology (at least for now, Kendare doesn't plan to add more books to the story) and this is an awesome trilogy!

      Delete
  5. Yay :D I'm glad you loved this book Pili. <3 Hugs. I will read it very shortly, and I simply cannot wait. So excited :D I adore Athena the most too. <3 Thank you for sharing your thoughts sweetie :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do hope you will love this one as much as I did sweetie!!

      Delete
  6. WOAH, five stars! Nice! I have the original hardcover of book one, but never got around to reading it. The series grabbed my attention but not enough to want to read it. :/ I'm so glad you loved this one so much, Pili! Excellent review!

    Alyssa @ The Eater of Books!

    ReplyDelete
  7. YAY. I'm so happy you loved this too Pili! I can't wait for Kendare's next novel. How I love her so.

    ReplyDelete

¡Muchas gracias por vuestros comentarios, leerlos me alegra el día!/ Thanks a lot for all your comments, reading them brightens my day!!