Friday, October 10, 2014

Friday Reads: Earth Flight by Janet Edwards!!!

Hello guys!! Happy Friday!!

I'm working today and the weekend BUT on Monday I'm starting my vacation, so I'm not gonna complain, nuh huh!

Starting this week's Friday Reads is another of those awaited final books in a series and since I've been doing so poorly at it, I'm gonna be counting it for my 2014 Series Challenge, even if I don't remember if I put it there on my original list!





Earth Flight (Earth Girl #3)Earth Flight by Janet  Edwards

My rating: 5 of 5 stars


I had been postponing reading Earth Flight cause we sometimes do that with final books in series we love, cause we fear the conclusion won't be good enough or we don't want to say goodbye to the characters.

And although I feel sad saying goodbye to these characters and would love to read more stories about them and what's to come, I can also say that this was a satisfactory book and a great way to end this trilogy.

One of the things I've loved the most about this trilogy is how much fun to read the books are when at the same time they raise these poignant and necessary questions about humanity. The main question raised here is one about discrimination and segregation, and goes to show us people in the now that it seems that we don't learn our lessons and people in the future will continue to discriminate other human beings for any reason whatsoever like in this case, their immune system.

Jarra has been working so hard to prove herself to the "norms" and then after realizing she was prejudiced herself, she's simply fought so hard to be treated equally and to do what she loves, even if she can't ever leave Earth. She has to fight for her relationship, the position she earned in the military and the right to finally join her birth family and in this book that's the main point of focus, how prejudice works, how encroached some beliefs are into society that we won't see beyond a word and would do anything to hold onto those beliefs even if they're wrong.

A lot of stereotypes and prejudices are shattered in this book and by doing so we are forced to take a look at those prejudices and stereotypes that surround us and see how easily we judge without thinking.

I loved that Jarra and Fian had a strong relationship and that even if they had their quarrels whenever they were thrown a curve ball they worked together to face it and defeat it. And I really loved that Jarra continued to find people in her corner even if it was fighting for something that at first seemed to have more opposition than support.

We get some new characters that I grew to love and we also get a resolution to the alien mystery introduced to us in Earth Star and although I was a teensy bit disappointed on how that plot line was resolved (I guess I was expecting something more Contact like, I dunno...) I was glad how it also served to show how unprepared the human race can be to meet other kind of intelligent life if we can't see to understand and accept all of us humans as equals.

A book that was a fun and quick read but with a deep message, quite an unlikely combination that worked so very well for me! Science fiction at its core, using the future to make us think of the issues of today! A very well deserved 4.5 stars for this final book!



View all my reviews

3 comments:

  1. Great review Pili :D I haven't heard of this, but it looks awesome. And I'm so glad you loved it so much. <3 loving books is the best, hih. Thank you for being honest and for sharing about this book :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Carina sweetie! And loving books you read is indeed the BEST!!

      Delete
  2. Oooo, five stars! I'm liking the sound of that romance. And did I see the word "aliens"? :D

    Alyssa @ The Eater of Books!

    ReplyDelete

¡Muchas gracias por vuestros comentarios, leerlos me alegra el día!/ Thanks a lot for all your comments, reading them brightens my day!!